You are here

Information for new academic staff and research postgraduates

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Getting help

The School's Computing Staff provide many of the computing services, known as DICE services, used within the School of Informatics. The front line support team provides user support for these facilities. Please use the support form to contact us.

Other computing services are provided by the University's Information Services (IS). Contact them using EdHelp (if you're a student) or IS Helpline (if you're a member of staff).


You will be provided with two computing accounts:

Your University Login
This is used for accessing computing services provided by the University's Information Services (IS), for example MyED, email and the ECDF cluster. Staff will be given details of this account from Informatics HR on arrival and research students will be emailed details of this account prior to your arrival at the University, including details on how to set your password.
DICE account
This is used for accessing computing services provided by the School of Informatics. Research students will receive an email prior to arrival giving details on how to activate their DICE account via the password portal using their Your University Login account. Staff can also set the password for their DICE account using this portal once Informatics HR have informed them their account is ready. Please choose different passwords for your University Login account and your DICE account.

Learn about Linux and DICE

To find out more about Linux and DICE, see our ⇒ Linux page.

Computing facilities

You will be provided with a desktop PC funded by the School (or funding research grant for some research staff). Equipment allocation provides more details. You can choose to have this PC installed and managed by the School computing staff - DICE desktop (Linux) or Managed desktop (Windows) - or to manage it yourself.

The Forum offices also have network ports for connecting personal laptops and the University's wireless service.

More detailed information on a number of topics including group space, software, procurement, remote working and virtualisation is available on Computing Facilities for Research


If you keep University files on your computer, you should make backup copies of them.


The use of all University computing and network facilities is governed by the University Computing Regulations and other relevant policies .

It is particularly important that you read and comply with our Guidance on Data Security.

The School also has a Good Practice Guide.

Getting started, and further reading

Last reviewed: 

System Status

Home dirs (AFS)
Other services
University services
Scheduled downtime

Choose a topic