You are here
Informatics Main Website CVS Publishing
These documents detail the CVS-based publishing system for the School of Informatics Web Server. From here you can find information on editing pages, on viewing their change history, and details on some of the procedures and tools used in creating this site.
Generally, only staff will need publishing access to the Informatics Web Server. Users wishing to update/create personal web pages should read the Homepages Server documentation.
Documentation for page authors
- A rough guide ... Details of the hows and whys of publishing on the main www.inf.ed.ac.uk site, including the link to the form to apply for a publishing account.
- Editing web pages with SeaMonkey How to use SeaMonkey to edit files on the Informatics site. (Note that the web HTML-editing tools have a number of problems, and do not come with any recommendation or guarantee of support).
- Editing and Managing with CVS CVS is one of the most powerful of the editing tools available, and is recommended for undertaking any form of large-scale site maintenance.
- Why we do things the way we do, ie CVS and validation.
- FAQ A (currently rather short) list of Fequently Asked Questions.
- An external link to Common Validator Problems.
- Some historical information about the service.
ToolsChange Information An interface to the revision history and change logs of all the human-editable files on this site. (You will need to login with your publishing account details to access this).
ssiexpand and ssireduce Scripts to expand and reduce the standard #includes in School web pages. Useful for checking web pages before uploading to the server.
Local Mirror of validator.w3.org. (This is only accessible to machines within the Informatics network.)