You are here
Informatics and the University between them provide a large variety of computing services. This page lists some of the main ones.
- Backups and mirrors - regular backup copies of data, online and offline.
- Cluster computing - large scale computing facilities for research.
- Coltex - 'Collaborative LATEX Document Repository' - versioning and shared editing for LATEX.
- Discussion Forums - web-based discussion facilities can be set up on request.
- Event and AV facilities - such as microphones, networking, screens and projection, cameras.
- External logins (SSH), remote graphical logins (NX) and General purpose computing servers. (See also remote working.)
- Git and gerrit - code repositories which facilitate code review and a push-based development model.
- Informatics filesystem - we use AFS to provide home directories and shared group space.
- Informatics Software Download Database (ISDD) - a repository for software downloads.
- Login logs - check your recent logins: does anyone else have access to your account?
- Panopto lecture capture system - what it can and can't record, and how to use it.
- PostgreSQL databases are available for teaching and for research.
- Printing facilities are available throughout the School. Also scanning, photocopying and fax.
- Sleep and remote wake-up of DICE desktop computers.
- Theon - the School's primary information management system.
- Virtualisation - virtual machines and hosting services.
- Web - we provide a wide variety of web services for all areas of the School.
These services will, in general, require a DICE account (see computing accounts).
- Mail - how to use the University's email systems.
- Wireless network (Wi-Fi, WLAN).
- ECDF (Edinburgh Compute and Data Facility) is a high-performance cluster of servers (1968 processors) and storage (around 239TB of data capacity) which is available to researchers from, and associated with, the University of Edinburgh.
- SVN/CVS - Subversion and CVS source code repository systems for versioning and revision control.
- IS conference help and facilities - Information Services provides IT facilities for conferences and special events organised via Edinburgh First. This provides useful information for anyone planning on organising a conference.
These services will, in general, require an EASE account (see computing accounts).
You can check for any planned or unplanned service alerts on the IS Service Alerts page.