You are here
Computing policies and guidelines
This page provides links to School and University policies, regulations and guidelines related to computing.
University policies, regulations and guidelines
- University IT policies are agreed at the University's Information Technology Committee (ITC).
- All users should take particular note of the University Computing Regulations.
- Guidance and policies on Data Protection.
- Guidance and policies on Freedom of Information.
School policies and guidelines
- Legal - a summary of Acts and such like things which affect us, and some pointers to sources of information.
- Privacy - a policy on access, by the School, to staff and student accounts.
- Cookies - how we handle cookies and similar technologies.
- Logging of information - data protection, interception and Freedom of Information requirements for logging.
- Data protection statement for Informatics managed systems.
- Data security - guidance on keeping sensitive data secure.
Self-managed and personal machines
- Self-managed server room space - a policy on the way space is allocated and managed in the self-managed server room.
- Network policy - a policy for self-managed and personal machines when connected to the University network.
- Wireless policy - a policy on the use of wireless equipment.
- Support - an explanation of the level of support provided for self-managed machines.
- Platforms - a policy for supporting different computing platforms.
- Security guidelines - guidance on what steps you should take to keep your self-managed machines secure.
Web publishing and social media
- Web 2.0 guidelines - the University's guidance on Web 2.0 services.
- Non University users - guidelines regarding publishing by users who are not members of the University.
- Content maintenance - responsibility for maintaining web content.
- The University's social media guidelines give "an overview of the main points to bear in mind when using social media for professional purposes".
- Passwords - a policy on DICE passwords.
- Visitor accounts - guidance on visitor accounts.
- Archiving student files - a policy on archiving student files.
- Account Closure and Expiry - policies on account expiry.
- Archiving of accounts - general statement on the archiving of accounts.
- Notice - notice required for creation of accounts and computer installation.